Series
Categories
Shop Now
My Picks
follow Archives

Thursday, August 16, 2012

CALIFORNIA TRIP: PART 5

I don't think I'll ever forget this day in San Francisco, whether or not I become a recognized artist. To say the least:





















































My eyes were glued on this storefront with its minimal and dynamic pieces, and I couldn't resist standing outside in awe for an extended time. I didn't want to go inside at first because I knew I couldn't afford anything in the gallery, but thankfully my husband pulled me inside, exclaiming that there's never harm in admiring good work.








































































All photos of Tangent Contemporary Art
Featured artwork by Carol Feuerman, Patrick Hughes, and Steve Perrault

While I tried to quietly look around and not overwhelmingly appear as a tourist (almost impossible with a big camera strapped around your neck), my husband started talking with the coordinator of the gallery, who turned out to be amazingly kind and inspiring.

After a while of chatting, I finally gained the courage to ask him how he started in the art field. He told me that he landed this position after being born into poverty, working years in other fields, and moving along from one situation to the next. He had agreed to start and manage a new gallery with an artist, on the agreement that he would work at the gallery for only two years. "I said that five years ago," he said, looking up to the ceiling and smiling.

There are often times when I want to throw up my hands and give up on my passion, thinking that it may possibly never amount to anything. After talking to this hugely encouraging man, I realize that striving for happiness is not a ridiculous idea, although obstacles are sure to come my way (and they have constantly reared their ugly heads, trust me).

I wish I could have videotaped his conversation with us. If I ever got into a rut (which is often), I would watch the video and remember to just keep moving.

I may not have a video, but I won't ever forget his heartfelt words of encouragement.





























In the meantime, I can always look up at the reminders hanging above my computer to encourage me to keep learning and moving forward.

7 comments:

Liz Brown said...

I find some contemporary art just confusing, but everything in this gallery looks beautiful! And so very unique. I'm glad you had such an encouraging conversation. :)

Cathy said...

You are just SO talented miss Danie. Don't ever stop drawing!! And, my birthday is the 25th!!!

Cathy Trails

Danie at Pasadya said...

Liz: I used to find a lot of it confusing also (still do), but I finally understand how it feels to just go ahead and create something you find to be beautiful. :) I agree! I loved the colors, and the realism of so many of the pieces was insane. Thank you! Me too!!

Cathy: You are such a sweetheart. You made my day! The 25th!!! Well, looks like I shouldn't forget your birthday, then! :)

Holly said...

Fabulous post! I think these inspiring meetings do not happen out of chance. You were supposed to meet, a connection was supposed to happen - even if it was for the sole purpose of encouragement, which is indeed such a valuable thing :)

Xx.

Danie at Pasadya said...

Holly: Thanks so much! You're such an encouragement to me as well. Hope you know that!

Rosa said...

I have the same constant reminder above my desk, Danie :).

Danie at Pasadya said...

Sweet Rosa! :) Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...