Series
Categories
Shop Now
My Picks
follow Archives

Thursday, May 3, 2012

MARY ANN WAKELEY

Guys!! ....Guys. You have to look at this for a second. I was browsing around looking for something to be inspired by today, and LOOK what I landed! This abstract art is by Mary Ann Wakeley, a self-taught artist who graciously allowed me to share her work with you only less than an hour ago. I was so surprised to get such a quick and friendly response from her after I just asked if I could post her work this morning, and I couldn't get her work out of my head and was a little bit disgruntled at the thought of posting about anything else this morning. That's kind of whiney, isn't it? I know, I know.

Aside from blogging, I had just finished reading a message from a new friend who is getting married next April, and my mom is making a custom veil for her! She sent me the sweetest message along with photos of her dress, which, when I saw, had to muster up all my strength not to cry. I suppose I'll be blabbing away at the wedding as usual. Today must be some kind of emotional lapse or something, ha.

Anyway! Hope you like bright, light art filled with free motion:















































































Top painting: May Day
Bottom painting: Dressage

I love Mary Ann's description of her artwork, especially this:

"Each work is created intuitively without a preconceived idea. Often I have the sense of painting time itself and what is suspended in it. But this is just an idea after the fact, not something that I set out to depict intentionally. Titles allow me to play with words and language--a way to offer another dimension to the work."


Her method of painting reflects the way I do my own work. I love how art frees my mind and allows me to get lost in another world, if you know what I mean. I love the entire process...but when I step back and realize a piece is finished, it's such a complete feeling. Do you feel like that with your work as well?

I just HAVE to add one more of Mary Ann's paintings.
































Painting: Rain Dance

Gosh, I'm swooning over her work! If you feel the same way, you can see more of her work via her website or through flickr.

*Update: Some of you were asking if she sells prints, and YAY, she does!

You can get prints of her originals here and here.

10 comments:

Sarah Carlson said...

These are just gorgeous! I am so in love with May Day! It perfectly depicts how I am feeling this week. Does she do prints?

Danie at Pasadya said...

Sarah: I knooow! She is so incredibly talented and kind. I am FREAKING out to say that I'm going to be the owner of the second painting, Dressage! I was drooling over all of them. You know, I'm not sure...let me ask her! :) I'll let you know!

danielle and dinosaur toes said...

oh wow, i think may day might be one of my new favorite paintings; the color, shapes, everything about just screams smiles, laughter, dancing!

and you're so right, art clears the mind better than anything else. i guess that's why i want to do nothing but paint, paint, paint!

Danie at Pasadya said...

Danielle: I just finished gawking at your incredible jewelry. You are GOOD!! Mary Ann is ridiculously talented AND sweet--she and I have been emailing each other all throughout the day. I'm kind of gaga over her, to say the least. Her art totally reflects her personality! Oh, and I really love your art too, by the way!

Ana Degenaar said...

I adore May Day! My living room is so bare. I am craving some art lately but I can never afford it :(

beina said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your supersweet comment!!!!!

Kyla said...

Oh, these are so beautiful! I love the colors and the energy of these.

Danie at Pasadya said...

Ana: I can't decide among them! They're all incredible! Ah, mine is pretty bare too. I usually just end up putting my own art up. Plus, I usually shop almost NEVER now because we're trying to save up for some trips and things, and we're just starting out, so I know what you mean. You know, she does offer prints through other companies, so maybe you can check it out. Of course, it's totally not the original, but I think it would look beautiful in a white frame with a white mat. Now those, I would just thrift and then refinish, and cut my own mat. :)

Beina: Oh love, of course! Huge congratulations on your graduation and thesis!! So, sooo happy for you. :)

Kyla: Me TOO!! I'm just twirling all over the place when I look at them.

Noor said...

Wow this is really gorgeous. I love it.

Danie at Pasadya said...

Noor: Couldn't agree with you more! Hope you're having a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...